Pouy at St. Vincent de Paul in ‘Les Landes’ is the birthplace of Saint Vincent de Paul. Rich in religious heritage and an important place of pilgrimage.
Near the village of Pouy, at Ranquines the illustrious St. Vincent de Paul. was born on 24 April 1581 Ranquines, has been rebuilt with original materials, and contains souvenirs of the great apostle of charity. Close by, are the 800-year-old oak tree of St Vincent de Paul and the Neo-Byzantine-style Basilica of Our Lady of Buglose, which holds the saint’s remains.
Basilica of Our Lady of Buglose
A short distance away is the shrine of Our Lady of Buglose. The history of the site is linked to a statue of the Virgin of the 15th century, buried in swamps during the Religious Wars, it was found 50 years later by a shepherd. It became an object of curiosity and devotion attracting many pilgrims. The Basilica of Our Lady of Buglose was built to cater for visitors and pilgrims!
The basilica contains a chime with 60 bells! Every Thursday at 3:30 p.m. (March to November), one can attend the chime audition ceremony!
• English-speaking tour-guide.
• Transport from/to your Biarritz Hotel
• Free-time after the Tour in Ranquines.
• Hear the history of events that have shaped Ranquines.
• Learn the history of St Vincent de Paul, and Buglose.
• Visit Ranquines iconic birthplace of St Vincent de Paul
• Get tips on the best things to see and do in the area during your stay.
• Enjoy some of the best views and surrounding countryside.
Learn about St Vincent de Paul and his charitable work.
Visit the Basilica of Our Lady of Buglose.
Visit Ranquines, the Basilica of Our Lady of Buglose, the Ice Pond, the Barthes horses.
Learn the history of St Vincent de Paul.
Experience the unique silence that makes this site so special.
• Tour-guide to Ranquines
• Guided tour of Ranquines and the Basilica of Our Lady of Buglose.
• Pick-up/drop-off in Biarritz. I hour distance
• The services of a professional guide
What’s Not Included?
• Tips (optional)
• All other extras
• Every day (excluding exceptional dates)
• Duration: Afternoon
• Departure point: Le grand Large, Biarritz.
• Language: tour commentated in the English language
• Reserve/book your tour/group at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Guided tours are subject to availability on the reservation date/s desired.